Types of Solutions
Depending on the types of solvents and its combination with the solutes, there may be various types of solutions.
When solvent is Gas
- Gas + Gas e.g.- Mixture of Gases, CO2 in air, N2 in air.
- Gas + Liquid e.g.- Moisture (water vapour), mist
- Gas + solid. e.g.- Sublimation of solid in air like I2 , NH4Cl Camphor, Carbon in air (smoke)
When Solvent is Liquid
- Liquid + Gas e.g.- Dissolved O2 in water or Soda Water (dissolved CO2 in Water).
- Liquid + Liquid e.g.- Alcohol or Acetone in water
- Liquid + solid e.g.- salt or sugar in water.
When solvent is Solid
- Solid + Gas e.g. - Solution of hydrogen in Nickel.
- Solid + liquid e.g.- Sodium amalgam with Mercury
- Solid + Solid e.g.- Alloys (Brass, German Silver, Bronze)